Tuesday 13 September 2011

Indians on holiday


I come to realise that a lots of the people in Munnar are in fact Indians on holiday themselves. It is a popular tourist destination for people from all over India. Because it is Onam, the Keralan folk festival, this makes it a particularly good time to visit.

The rickshaws, landrover-type vehicles and people-carriers that are for hire are crammed full of groups of family and friends. The vehicles take the tourists around the town and into the surrounding countryside. The most I counted in one rickshaw was 8, plus the driver. We would consider it a vehicle for 2 passenger, or 3 at a push. It is almost impossible to count the number they can get into a landrover. It is like some sort of crazy competition.  Groups of young men are particularly fond of the landrover vehicles. They hang out of the sides, windows and back waving their arms wildly, shouting in an attempt to attract admiring looks of the onlookers.

As I walk from the town back to my guest house I notice a small tea stand on the other side of the road. There is a group of 6 people there – 3 men and 3 women drinking tea. They are looking rather jolly and two of the men are singing. I smile at their singing and they wave and beckon me over and buy me a cup of tea. They are friends on holiday together from The Punjab. I would say they are in their 60s, but they say they are, ‘young at heart’. One man and his wife have travelled all around England , ‘on official business’ whatever that is. He says the hills around Munnar are like Wales. I think he’s right.
Tourists at the tea stall

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Helly, sounds brilliant, I hope you are going to publish a book with it, you are very good at it, amusing and so descriptive. It would be a best seller.
Can only send comments under annonymous as when I tick on other catagories it comes up in Greek.
Take care on the bus, use Greek tactics, bag near window and sit on the aisle seat.
L&Os Hatty xx

Lindsey said...

Hey,
Can't imagine that anywhere in India would look like Wales and I agree with Hatty about the book!!
Must be an international strategy when taking care of personal belongings on public transportation because we do that on the subway here in New York too!
Take care! Sounds like you need a good strong cup of Glengette tea to settle your stomach but don't think you'll find one! L&O's Lindseyxxxx