Saturday 3 September 2011

Fort Cochi

I spent my first afternoon walking around the local area and getting my bearings. It was initially difficult to refuse the constant request for the rikshaw drivers to be take to a tourist attraction or from the waiters to take  meal in their restuarant. But I quickly got better at it!

Here are the old Chinese fishing nets at the waterfront that the town is famous for.


But they don't really catch fish any more - they catch tourists like me!



As well as a tourist trap the waterfront is seems also to be a genuine fishing place with a fish market.
There is a festival on over 10 days, called Onam. I don't know much about it, but I thik it is a multi faith autumn festival. The locals are dressed in their best and wandering up and down the promenade too. I'd like to be able to take pictures of popel, but it seems too intrusive.
                                                                    
                                                                        Fish market


                   Locals on the promenade - boys in their best shirts pass an ice-cream seller


                                                     Waterfront with fishing boats and nets



                                                   'Queue' for the ferry to Vypin Island

No comments: