Tuesday 6 September 2011

Onam

I called at the main post office today to send some postcards. The front entrance to the building was decorated and about 20 women were posing for a photograph. They were all wearing the traditionaI Keralan sari which is worn at Onam. This is the biggest festival in Kerala and lasts for 10 days. It is a festival to celebrate the autumn season. Intricate flower patterns are laid out in front of houses.

I bypassed the women and went into the post office. Inside it was pretty quiet, with only 2 of the 10 windows open for business. I bought my stamps and sat down to stick them on the cards. As I was doing so the women came into the post office, laughing and smiling about their photograph. The first one opened the door to go behind the counter and they all went through and returned to their work stations.

As I went outside I saw a large flower pattern laid out on the front step. This is called a Pookalam.




The last few women were still outside and this time it was the turn of the male post office workers to have their pictures taken.

Can you imagine this happening at Plymouth main post office!


Female post office workers dressed in their Onam saris photograph their male colleagues


 Two of the female opost office workers

No comments: