Sunday 29 April 2012

St James Walkway Days 3 and 4

Day 3
During the night I hear the forecasted rain commence and in the morning the clouds hang low over the surrounding mountains and the rain continues to fall. Because of the weather no-one is in a hurry to make an early start, but Chris makes the first departure, togged up in her wet weather gear, while Ella, Sarah and I seriously think about staying here for the day, having a quiet day reading, as the hut is so nice and we have enough provisions for the extra day. We decide that 10 o’clock is the cut-off time to make a decision to go or to stay.
Ella and Sarah inside the Hut
Right on 10 o’clock the sun comes through a little bit, offering some hope that the day will improve and I set off just ahead of the girls. I can’t decide what the right clothing is, because it rains and then the sun comes out and then it’s too hot for waterproofs. In the first hour my waterproofs go on and come off several times and I make very little progress, other than feeling as if I have done a training session for a primary school dressing-up race. I am quite glad when the weather decides to stick to one thing, even though that is rain. The walk has a different beauty in the rain and the clouds gather quite heavily behind me, while up ahead there are occasional rainbows and the promise of better weather to come.
Rainbow

Clouds


After 5 hours I come across a little tiny historic hut. This is the Rokeby Hut, built in 1955. It has 3 canvas bunks and a small cast iron range. I decide to stop for a break and make a hot cup of tea. Soon after me, Sarah and Ella arrive, looking very cold, wet and bedraggled. They don’t have waterproof trousers and they are wet through from the hips down. With the aid of some meths from my cooking stove, we light a fire in the range with slightly damp wood and before long they are feeling better as they sit in front of the fire steaming nicely.
Drying Out

It is now only about an hour and a half to tonight’s destination, which is Boyle Flats Hut. Because of today’s late start and the break at the old hut, it is not far off nightfall when I arrive. Chris has decided to stay here tonight rather than walking out today and has lit a small fire to begin to dry off. We have to rummage in the woodshed for more small bits of firewood. This is unusual, as the huts are usually well-provisioned with wood and sometimes coal, but we manage to find enough to keep the fire going through the short evening and we arrange our wet boots around the stove and our clothes hang from lines across the room.
Arriving at Boyle Flat Hut


Day 4
The next morning the rain has stopped and the overcast sky adds a brooding atmosphere to the valley.
Clouds above the Hut

It is a relatively short walk of 15km today and the sun comes out from time to time adding a pleasant feel and smell to the damp air in the woods.
Sunshine in the Forest

Sunshine in the Valley

The last river crossing is via another swing bridge and the track heads down to the main road, where Josephine is parked safely in a car park of an outdoor education centre.
Swing Bridge over the Boyle River

I have enjoyed the different challenges of this walk. It has been th logest walk I have done, but over easier terrain. It is also the first time that I have by chance shared an entire walk with the same 3 people and I enjoyed sharing the walk and the huts with them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have just caught up with your blog - seem to have been very busy of late! maybe I could manage a flat walk like this one! mind you it would take me considerably longer than the recommended time!!!
Love Wendy x