Tuesday 8 November 2011

Ko Lanta

I move on from Krabi to stay for 4 nights on an island called Ko Lanta, a little further to the south. The island is about 25 miles long and has beautiful sandy beaches down its west coast. It is touristy, but not ridiculously so and it is now the very start of the season, so there are not very many tourist about.  Places are just beginning to open up and there is building and renovations going on.
I am staying in a little wooden cabin just back from the beach. The sea is a beautiful temperature and I swim every day. At the back of the beach is a collection of bars and restaurants with a very laid back vibe, that are lit up prettily at night. You can while away lots of time here sitting on cushions under a little bamboo roof with a beer and a book.
My room

Prae Ae beach


Beach bar

One day I hire a scooter to see the island. This is a new experience for me and I have a little practice on the quiet road outside my hotel first. It all seems OK, so I venture out onto the main road. Having said that there is really only one road around the island and there isn’t much traffic, so I feel pretty safe; particularly once I have mastered turning corners!
Me and my pink scooter

I drive down the coast for a while and then across the island to the east side.  All along the beaches there are now signs pointing out the tsunami evacuation route.
Tsunami evacuation sign

Small boats

Inland the island is not particularly pretty, but it is interesting to drive through the small villages, which are mainly Muslim and the rubber and palm oil plantations. On the east side, which faces the main land is Old Lanta Town. This was the original main town of the island and there are many traditional wooden Chinese houses here built on stilts out into the water.
 Lanta Old Town

Street in Lanta Old Town

I stop for a walk along a boardwalk into the mangroves.
Boardwalk

Mangrove creek

I finish the day by visiting Saladan, which is the main town of the island nowadays. It sits on the north east point of the island. I walk along the beach here and watch fishing boats returning to the port.
Fishing boats returning

Saladan waterfront


The hard sand is covered with tiny crabs. They are almost invisible when they are still, but they scuttle way into their holes in the sand as I approach. The patterns they make around their holes decorate the beach.
Crab hole

One night there is the most amazing thunder storm. It goes on from about 10pm until the wee small hours. The whole sky lights up with sheet lightning and as I lie in bed the room literally shakes with the noise of the thunder (I look forawrd to your jokes!). Attached to my room the bathroom is semi open to the sky, which makes it good for ventilation, but not so good for having a pee during a thunder storm. When I go in there in the morning the waste bin is full to overflowing with rain water.

1 comment:

kate said...

megan loves your room at Ko Lanta but i'm not convinced she really beleievd you were staying there